Been Sprayed by a Skunk?
When you live in a rural / urban setting coming into contact with skunks is inevitable. What to do if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk?
STEPS TO TAKE if your dogs are sprayed by a skunk
Keep your dog secured outside until you can clean them off; it is very difficult to remove the smell from your home
Mix all the ingredients of the natural recipe (see below) together and pour over your dog while scrubbing all parts of your dog that got sprayed
Rinse your dog thoroughly and repeat wash if necessary
Repeat the natural recipe and wash your dog's collar | harness | leash or anything that got sprayed. Once the articles have been washed with the natural recipe, you can now wash them again in your washing machine if deemed necessary
NATURAL RECIPE to remove odor
1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Cup Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Lemon Joy Soap or any Lemon scented dish soap
Repeat as many times as necessary
WORD OF CAUTION
Skunk spray can be deadly to dogs if ingested or sprayed at close range, especially for small breed dogs. Scientists have now discovered that there is a toxic element in skunk spray that operates like those found in garlic and onions. It has long been known that garlic and onions are toxic to dogs, this means skunk spray can be deadly to dogs. The more the skunk sprays, the more toxic it is, so if a dog was close enough to get sprayed in the mouth, the toxicity can be deadly.
Your dog may start vomiting and have diarrhea
Take your dog immediately to the veterinarian if your dog was sprayed at close range and they start vomiting and/or have diarrhea.